Don’t Ignore your Gutters, small problems can become big problems quickly!
Most homeowners don’t look up at their gutters often, gutters might not be much to look at but they play a vitally important role in protecting your home from the elements and keeping it safe and secure. Gutters direct water away from the walls, windows, doors and foundations. But, if any part of your guttering system is defective, you may not notice until it is too late.
Properly maintained gutters will last a long time, and while some issues may be apparent in dry weather, others may only become so during heavy rainfall. You should be checking your gutters at least twice a year for signs of wear and tear– once every Spring and Fall for instance. If you’re not sure what to look for here are the tell-tale signs you need to repair or replace.
1. Visible signs of damage
There are some obvious indications that your guttering is damaged:
• Cracks, holes or rust spots in the gutters
• Gutters sagging, separating or pulling away from the house, hanging down or leaning away from the walls (gutters should only be at a gentle slope to work well but not be leaning)
• Gutters are bent or dented
• Gaps between the gutter connections, junctions with downpipes or fascia boards to which they are attached
• Nails popping or sticking out from the gutters
2. Less obvious outward signs of damage
There are other more subtle things that may indicate a problem:
• You find nails, screws or connectors on the ground
• Gutters are continually overflowing during rainfall
• There is standing water in the gutters even after it stops raining
• Water leaks from parts of the gutters where it shouldn’t or spills over from the gutters when the rain has stopped
• Things are growing out of the gutters or animals are nesting in them
• Icicles are forming from the gutters in cold weather
3. What is the house telling you?
There are also giveaway signs around your house and property that will indicate problems with the guttering:
• Water pooling around the foundations
• Exterior paint peeling or wood rotting or corroding
• Water stains, marks, mold or mildew on exterior walls or doors
• The basement regularly floods during heavy rainfall or has signs of mildew or mold
• Lawns or hard landscaping is regularly being eroded or cracked
Apart from the visible signs, you should also pay attention to the behavior of your gutters when it rains. Listen to how the rainfall is flowing through the gutters. If you can hear water hitting the ground then your gutters are blocked and not able to do their job properly. Over time leaves and other debris can collect in your gutters, but cleaning them is relatively straightforward so it is important to check for blockages regularly. Make sure you have measures in place to be safe, or hire a professional gutter cleaning company for that. But if the gutters appear clear and are still not draining properly, this is an indication of a more serious problem and you should call in the experts immediately.
It may seem obvious but a well-maintained gutter is good for your home. Regular checking and maintenance will help ensure your home remains protected and intact. Call European Gutters @ 604-566-8411 to find a qualified gutter company in your area for gutter repair, cleaning, or replacement!