During summer, it is easy to forget that your gutters still need care like they did in the spring.
But gutter care in Canada is very crucial in the summer because of the heavy rainfall. It ensures that your gutters are functioning well to withstand the heavy rains.
Here are more reasons why gutter care in the summer is important, how you can do it, and safety tips you can follow during maintenance.
Why is Gutter Care Important in the Summer?
In the summer, you must ensure water can freely flow down your gutters. This is to
- Properly maintained gutters to divert rainfall during the summer. The gutters ensure that water does not accumulate at your building’s foundation which could lead to structural damage.
- Protect your walls, windows, and doors from excess moisture which could cause issues like mold growth and wood rot.
- Ensure the gutters do not accumulate debris, including leaves, pollen, and small branches. These could result in clogged gutters causing water to overflow and damage the exterior of your house. In some cases, the water can seep into the interior causing a lot of damage especially if there is heavy rainfall.
- Ensure your rainwater storage (if you have any) remains uncompromised, safeguarding the quality and usability.
Furthermore, you should clean your gutters to ensure that no animals have nested in them, especially if you have had a long period of dry days. If left unattended, it could cause clogged gutters and contaminate your harvested rainwater.
Cleaning Your Gutters
Cleaning your gutters for the summer should begin in the first few days or toward the end of spring.
The table below shows a gutter cleaning frequency that you can use to ensure that you are not overwhelmed by cleaning the gutters during the summer.
|Time of Summer||Tasks|
|Beginning of Summer||
|At least twice during summer||
|End of Summer||
Then, to clean the gutters, do the following:
- Have the necessary tools such as safety gloves, ladder, scoop, hose, non-slip shoes, mask and a bucket.
- Secure the ladder on a stable surface where you can access the gutters.
- Wear your safety gloves, non-slip shoes and mask to avoid dust, pollen and other allergens.
- Scoop the debris gently but first check to confirm that no small animals or birds have nested on your gutters.
- Place the debris on a bucket so that you do not mess up your landscaping.
- Use a hose to flush and rinse the gutters. If you collect rainwater, make sure it doesn’t leak into the storage tank while you’re cleaning to prevent contamination.
Safety Tips for Summer Gutter Maintenance
Even though cleaning the gutters seems like a straightforward task, you need to put your safety first.
Therefore, always do the following:
- Use an extendable ladder to help you reach your gutters safely.
- Never work alone. Instead always have a spotter who can help you and watch you stay safe as you clean your gutters.
- Always watch out for the power lines.
- If you cannot reach the gutters, hire a professional to do the gutter cleaning and maintenance for you.
- Wear sunscreen to protect your skin as cleaning the gutters may take a long time under the sun.
- Watch your back as you reach for hard-to-reach areas. You do not want to have an aching back by the time you’re done cleaning the gutters.
- Always wear non-slip shoes to protect you from slips and falls
- Always use safety gloves to avoid cuts and abrasions from the debris that may be in the gutters.
Get Quality Gutters that Will Last from European Gutters
Gutter care can be extensive, and if you do it rushed, you may cause more harm than good. Therefore, you should hire professional gutter cleaning and maintenance services to help you carry out these tedious tasks.
Professionals will ensure that clean rainwater flows through your gutters freely in no time. And if they discover that your gutters or downspouts require maintenance, they will do any minor repairs or major overhauls.
At European Gutters, we install top-quality gutter systems that seamlessly blend with your home’s architecture and aesthetics, and that will last for a long time.
Get in touch with us today and enjoy a worry-free summer with your gutters expertly cared for.